We’re always looking for ways to make our favorite recipes healthier without sacrificing any flavor. Just because we eat healthy doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be able to enjoy our foods and what we are eating. With some substitutions you can reduce the fat, sugar, and calorie count of many of your favorite meals. Below are ten suggestions for substitutions that we guarantee will make your next meal delicious and healthier.
1. Unsweetened applesauce for sugar: you can substitute in a 1:1 ratio, but for every cup of applesauce you use reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by ¼ cup.
2. Unsweetened applesauce for oil or butter: 1 cup of oil would be replaced with ½ cup oil and ½ cup applesauce.
3. Chia seeds for butter: combine 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 9 tbsps of water, let sit for 15 minutes creates a consistency to stand in for fat in baking recipes. Substitute ½ the butter in a recipe with this mixture.
4. Mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes: doesn’t need the milk or butter to get that creamy consistency. Add some fresh herbs.
5. Rolled oats for bread crumbs
6. Spaghetti Squash for pasta (see a previous post for recipes using spaghetti squash)
7. Non fat plain Greek Yogurt for sour cream or mayonnaise
8. Replace heavy cream with 2 Tbsp of flour whisked into 2 cups f non-fat milk
9. Ground chicken or turkey for beef
10. Black beans for flour: drained and rinsed beans can be used in place of flour in recipes for baked goods. Substitute 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of black bean puree.
There are lots of ways of replacing ingredients with healthier options. Play around with your measurements and don’t be afraid to try something new. You may discover that you even enjoy your meals more.